This ongoing series of live events on the third Friday of each month combines a social opportunity to strengthen connections within our volunteer family with an ongoing learning approach to engaging with the Courage to Care mission and messages. Join a diverse group of interesting people in conversation and feel uplifted, more informed and better equipped to speak on our issues. You’ll get the most out of the Conversations if you read through the topic material in advance, but it’s optional.
All volunteers are welcome! Refreshments will be available.
Conversation topics coming up:
- 16 December: Who are you? Memory and Identity
Reading resources: Who are you? Bi-directional nature of memory and self (Long article – you can skim or ignore)
Video resources: Is Identity our physical self or our memories? Cultural memory and the relationship to the past Memory reconstruction and emotional memories Are all your memories real? Memory malleability
- 20 January 2023: Topic to be confirmed
- 17 February: Topic to be confirmed
- 17 March: Topic to be confirmed
- 21 April: Topic to be confirmed
- 12 May: note this is 2nd Friday of the month
- 16 June: Topic to be confirmed
- 21 July: Topic to be confirmed
- 18 August: Topic to be confirmed
- 15 September: Topic to be confirmed
- 20 October: Topic to be confirmed
- 17 November: Topic to be confirmed
JOIN THE TEAM: If you would like to help coordinate and plan future Conversations, please contact Zoi (program manager).
Want to revisit previous Conversations?
- 18 November 2022: Caste and social class in the country of the ‘fair go’
Reference material: South Asian caste system being imported; Diversity Council of Australia research; Personal experiences and impact; Social mobility has its down-side; Social segregation in Australian schools; Are Australians socially inclusive? Don’t judge a girl by her postcode
- 21 October 2022: Religious intolerance or conflict of interest
Reference material: Linking faith and employment ‘a bad idea’; Why we must not tolerate intolerance; Conflicts were too great; It’s not black and white; Sacked for religious beliefs; Call for religious freedom bill; Cancelled over religion